Thursday, April 18, 2013

Standing Heron

Standing Heron

 

Standing Heron

I am working the knee of a standing heron.  I thought about making the bent leg in two halves, but decided if I brazed the lower section with the upper section of the leg I would have more control of the pose.  This seems to work nicely.  How about this, a copper heron with an artificial knee.
 
 

Close-up of the Knee

Temporary wires hold the pieces in place while adjusting the position of the leg.  This allows me to place the leg in a pose in relationship to the rest of the body.  In the straight leg there is a stainless steel rod that goes through leg and is anchored into the body.  This greatly increases the load bearing qualities of the copper leg.

 

Tim Summerville,  copper artist

 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment